Before discussing how to verify twitter account, let me explain first what is Twitter and why it is so important to have a twitter account these days
Twitter is a american Micro blogging and social media network. Here user can interact and post their messages in the form of “tweets”.
It was founded in March 2006 and headquarter at San Francisco, USA. Jack Dorsey is Founder & CEO of Twitter and the annual revenue Twitter is around USD 3 billion.
Twitter employees around 4600 employees around the globe. Its a public company and listed in NYSE as TWTR (stock ticker).
How powerfull Twitter is ?
In mid-September 2019, Twitter was ranked the 32nd most visited website globally by Alexa’s web traffic analysis.
- Twitter has wordlwide 336 million active users and 100 million daily active users
- 23% of Internet user is said to be on Twitter
- 2 billion search queries are served by Twitter on a daily basis
- There are more than 24.6% verified journalists on twitter
- 83% of World leaders have a twitter account
- On average, users on Twitter have 707 followers
- Twitter supports 40 languages and 80% of its uses are “affluent millennial”
- 37% of Twitter users are of 18-29 age and 25% users are of 30-49 age.
Why you need a verified account on Twitter?
In June 2009, after being criticized and commented by Kanye West and sued by Tony La Russa over many unauthorized and fake accounts run by impersonators, Twitter launched their ‘Verified Accounts’ program.
They stated that an account with a verification badge indicates “Twitter is in contact with the person or entity the account is representing and verified that it is approved.”
After the beta period, Twitter stated in their FAQ that the company “proactively verifies accounts on an ongoing basis to make it easier for users to find who they’re looking for” and that they “do not accept requests for verification from the general public.
In July 2016, Twitter announced a public application process to grant verified status to an account “if it is determined to be of public interest” and that verification “does not imply an endorsement”.
Therefore, having a verified Twitter account distinguishes a person/organization’s real profile from any fake ones that might be created. The Twitter verified badge is a sought-after stamp of authority in the “Twitterverse”, but it requires certain criteria to be met.
How to identify a verified account on Twitter?
The blue verified badge on Twitter lets people know that an account of public interest is authentic.
The badge appears next to the name on an account’s profile and next to the account name in search results. It is always the same color and placed in the same location, regardless of profile or theme color customization.
Accounts that don’t have the badge next to their name but that display it somewhere else, for example in the profile photo, header photo, or bio, are not verified accounts.
Verified badges must be applied by Twitter, and accounts that use a badge as a part of profile photos, background photos, or in any other way that implies verified status, are subject to permanent account suspension.
Who gets verified on Twitter?
An account may be verified if it is of public interest. Normally this includes accounts of users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business, and other key interest areas.
In simple words some sort of a public figure or a celebrity.
How to verify twitter account?
If you are a public figure then just follow these five simple steps and get your account verified on twitter.
Step 1 : Update Your Twitter account
The basics should be complete, make sure that all of your profile information is accurate and updated. These includes your Twitter bio, profile picture, header picture and your birthday (for personal accounts).
Step 2 : Verify Your Mobile Number And Confirm Your email
Since you have completed your profile information. The next step is to verify and confirm your mobile number and email respectively.
You can verify your phone number by navigating to the ‘Settings & Privacy’ option in your profile menu, and clicking on ‘Mobile’ in the menu to the left of your screen.
Once you’ve entered your mobile number and clicked on ‘Continue’, you will receive a One Time Password (OTP) with which you can verify it.
In the same ‘Settings & Privacy’ option, you can navigate to the ‘Account’ section and confirm your email as well.
Step 3 : Set Your Tweets To ‘Public’
This is step is the most important one.
Step 4 : Make Sure Your Profile Relates To You/Your Business
Your username, profile picture, and header picture should relate to who you are (for personal accounts), or your brand (for business accounts).
This means that having a generic profile picture or Twitter handle could hinder your chances of getting verified. Therefore make sure your personal identity should reflect in your twitter profile.
Step 5 : Apply For Verification
Once your profile is complete, you can apply for verification through Twitter’s request Verification Form.
Make sure to provide any supporting documents or website URLs that could prove your impact in your respective field.
For personal accounts, Twitter might also request a government-issued ID card for identity verification.
Recommended security precautions for a Twitter Verified Account
Verified accounts may become targets for hacking or phishing campaigns.
The following precautions are recommended for all users, but in particular users with verified accounts:
- Turn on login verification so a second security check is required in order to log in
- If your account was recently verified, you will be auto-enrolled to require personal information (e.g. phone number and email address) to reset your password. For added security, we recommend you keep this featured enabled
- Be cautious of allowing third-party apps access to your account. Review your connections frequently, and revoke access to any unfamiliar apps.
- Make sure the email address associated with your account is secure.
Loss of verified status
Twitter reserves the right to remove verification at any time without notice.
Reasons for removal may reflect behaviors on and off Twitter that include:
- Intentionally misleading people on Twitter by changing one’s display name or bio
- Promoting hate and/or violence against, or directly attacking or threatening other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability, or disease. Supporting organizations or individuals that promote the above.
- Inciting or engaging in harassment of others.
- Violence and dangerous behavior
- Directly or indirectly threatening or encouraging any form of physical violence against an individual or any group of people, including threatening or promoting terrorism
- Violent, gruesome, shocking, or disturbing imagery
- Self-harm, suicide
- Engaging in activity on Twitter that violates the Twitter Rules.
How does Twitter decides whom to verify ?
A group of moderators reviews your profile and make a decision how to verify twitter account.
In case your request for verification is denied, you may apply again in 30 days.
Following could be some of the parameters that decides if an account can be verified or not :
- Followers count is not important. Twitter is pretty strongly telling everyone that your follower count doesn’t matter. @jobysanchez is a MMA fighter, from New Mexico. He’s been using Twitter since 2012 and only has 1,136 followers.
- Number of searches of you on twitter
- Your tweets are public
- You are regularly tweeting or engaging on twitter
- You have completed your verification process
I think think these steps will surely help in answering your question – How to verify twitter account ?
Update : Please note that Twitter’s Verified account program is currently on hold. They are not accepting any new requests at this time.
Is you website ADA Compliant?
You could be in Danger !
Check my latest post on ADA compliance and how easily you can fix your website and avoid big lawsuits.
Read my latest post on Facebook Crypto-currency Libra.