To understand what does copywriter do, we need to understand what exactly copywriting is.
What is Copywriting ?
Copywriting is the process of writing advertising promotional materials. Copywriters are responsible for the text on brochures, billboards, websites, emails, advertisements, catalogs, and more.
This text is known as “copy.” Copy is everywhere — it’s part of a $2.3 trillion industry worldwide.
Because news or editorial writing, copywriting is all about getting the reader to take action. That action might be to purchase, opt-in, or engage with a product, service, or company.
So what exactly a copywriter does?
A copywriter is often referred as a “Salesman in Print”
Copywriters can write more creative text, like ad jingles, taglines, and other creative copy, or more research-based copy, like a job description on a website.
A copywriter should know how to write for various mediums, such as print, web, radio and television. Their work with editors to determine tone and brainstorm ideas, and may work with a designer or art director for advertising.
Copywriter may work in a company or work as freelancer. They are hired based on their skills and ability.
A copywriter is basically is a person who can make you buy things without being salesy. They can craft words that convinces you to buy the product.
Here is a classic example of “copy” ………….. its a renowned ad by John Caples.
If you really want to check out some good resources on copywriting, i published a post recently on 40 resources to learn copywriting.
Copywriter’s Job Description
- Creativity: You will need to create original work and develop ideas around your chosen themes.
- Determination: Some assignments can take a long time to finish, or your editor may turn it around for many, many revisions.
- Persuasion: Copywriters need to know how to write persuasively and in some cases, defend their creative choices.
- Social Perceptiveness: Copywriters need to have their finger on the pulse, so that their copy is relevant and modern, and understand how people will react to their writing.
- Writing Skills: Copywriters need to write well: with proper tone, feeling, sentence structure and emotion. Grammar counts!
What qualification you need to be a copywriter ?
Zero, there are many successful copywriters who didn’t even complete high school. You don’t have to be a MBA or need a college degree to be a copywriter.
Some copywriters are stay-at-home moms and some left six-figure corporate jobs.
The only thing you need is a computer and an Internet connection. Everything else can be learned. If you can write a letter to a friend, you have all the qualifications you need to get started now.
How much does a copywriter make?
It depends a lot on where you work and what type of copy you’re writing. But the median hourly income for writers and authors in 2010 was $26.64, or $55,420 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
For example, one copywriter I know works decent hours, not only on copywriting, but also on the growth and development of her freelance business. She makes over $120,000 a year.
Its a skill that you can acquire over time, the older you in this profession, the more you will have the experience and the more you can earn.
You can do a full time job in a corporate or you can freelance. Sky is the limit to earn for a good copywriter.
Where can you find resources to learn Copywriting ?
Very recently i published a post on 40 Killer Resources to Learn Copywriting.
I would also recommend to check out a 7 FIGURE MARKETING COPY by Sean Vosler. He is an amazing copywriter and marketer. You will definitely find value in his offering.
In his 7 FIGURE MARKETING COPY he provides :
1. 10+ easy to follow copy methods that you can use right away to boost conversions.
2. Writer’s block killers, includes 3 simple exercises to push you through.
3. Dozens of templates and copy case studies for you to reference while you’re writing.
All the best……..